How we support students
Drop-in 1-on-1 peer tutoringMost OLA tutors were born and raised in Hawaiʻi and attended local public schools, so they have a connection to students coming in for tutoring
Homework helpTutors can help with a wide variety of homework types (e.g., practice problems, project reports, brainstorming project ideas, etc.)
Reading ComprehensionStudents can get assistance in understanding word problems and homework or project instructions
Vocabulary BuildingTutors can help students define vocabulary words that are important to understanding math and science content
Test and Quiz ReviewTutors can help prepare students for upcoming tests and quizzes
Pre-college mentorshipOLA tutors are University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa undergraduate and graduate students – they can talk to students about the college application process, what college is like, and how students can prepare for college
Content ReinforcementStudents can review with tutors major ideas and standards
Assessment CorrectionsStudents can get tutoring help to review missed problems and correct assessments
1 p.m. to 10 p.m. (effective August 3rd)
5 p.m. to 10 p.m.
Closed on Saturdays and all State Holidays
During peak hours (after 5 p.m.), tutoring sessions will be limited to one hour.
How we support teachers
- Differentiated instruction: tutors can work with a student or group of students on certain skills or topics
- Content review: students can ask for assistance with class information they don’t understand or for which they need clarification
- Independent practice: tutors can go over classwork or unfinished classwork with students
- Advisory activity: students can log in during advisory time to complete homework or unfinished classwork
- Assessment prep: tutors can prepare for upcoming quizzes and tests
- Assessment corrections: students can review with tutors missed problems and correct their assessments with the right answers
- Homework problems: tutors can help with a wide variety of homework types (e.g., practice problems, projects, brainstorming project ideas, etc.)
Thank you for supporting our learners here at the High Schools and at UH!
I know for a fact that if it weren’t for these amazing tutors coming to help me understand certain math problems and formulas, I would be getting very poor grades right now. Thank you all so much!
– Emmanuella Marcil, 9th Grade • Kaua’i High School
Each tutor that I’ve worked with has helped me a lot with my math. It’s been awesome!
– Janique Marcil, 7th Grade • Chiefess Kamakahelei Middle School
The University of Hawaii at Manoa OLA has completely changed the way my daughters look at math. They’re now proud of the grades they get and look forward to their tests. I cannot say how grateful I am for this amazing online resource.
– Serge Marcil, Emmanuella and Janique’s dad